|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Chinese Language, Chinese Studies|
|Course Language:||Chinese, English||Minimum Language Requirement:||1 semester|
|Housing Options:||International Student Housing||Eligibility:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior, 5-Graduate|
|Student Type:||Both undergraduate and graduate students||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Purchase required (via EA at UK)|
UK Direct: Shanghai University - Exchange Culture, Experience Shanghai
Shanghai, ChinaStudents selected to participate on this program will receive an automatic scholarship from the UK Confucius Institute and Shanghai Municipal Government. The scholarship will cover: tuition & registration fees to Shanghai University, accommodation, most in-country group activities and traveling, and group meals. Students will be responsible to cover any additional expenses, such as airfare, passport, visa, UK related tuition/fees, some meals, personal expenses, etc. Please visit the program budget to learn more about estimated expenses.
- In order to be considered for this program and the scholarship, you must complete the Confucius Institute application in addition to the UK Education Abroad application. Please submit that application to Mr. Zengxiang Yang in 111 Bradley Hall.
Shanghai is a modern city where one can see eastern and western civilizations melted together. Through lectures, discussions, various practices and exchanges, program participants can explore the city of Shanghai and learn about Chinese culture. Participants will also be able to interact with guest speakers and professors, students from around the world, as well as both Shanghai University students and local citizens.
- Practice Chinese language skills
- Engage in lectures about Chinese culture, globalization, and cross-cultural exchange
- Visit cultural attractions such as Oriental pearl TV Tower, Zhujiajiao ancient town, and Yu Garden
Visit the cities of Suzhou and Hangzhou
- Earn six Shanghai University credits for coursework completed on the program. (Course equivalents and conversion to U.S. credits currently pending)
This program is open to undergraduate and graduate students from all academic disciplines.
- Students will earn transfer credit from Shanghai University. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by Shanghai University. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the UK Education Abroad office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) the term they are abroad.
Housing & Meals
- Students will be housed in the international student dormitory.
- Students will be responsible for most meals for the duration of their term abroad. Some group meals will be included.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
- Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
- The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the UK Education Abroad Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.
- Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to UK Education Abroad and one through the University of Kentucky Confucius Institute. For the Confucius Institute application, please click this link. Please turn in the Confucius Institute application to Mr. Zengxiang Yang in 111 Bradley Hall.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
Passport & Visa Requirements
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders must obtain a visa for entry into China and have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the anticipated date of return. Please consult the Chinese Embassy website or your Education Abroad advisor for more information. Students should pay careful attention to the amount of time required to obtain the visa. It is strongly suggested that students work with the Confucius Institute to obtain their visa.
Travel Medical Insurance
- All participants of this program will be enrolled in HTH Travel Medical Insurance for the duration of the program. The cost of Travel Medical Insurance is in addition to the program fee. Please see the UK Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information.
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor, visit the EA Contact website.
Connect with EA
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer 2||2015||04/01/2015 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.