|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Anthropology, Economics, English, Geography, History, International Business, Political Science, Religion/Theology|
|Course Language:||English||Housing Options:||Residence Hall|
|Eligibility:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Student Type:||Undergraduate students only||Advisor:||Visit: www.uky.edu/educationabroad/contact/contact_advisor.html|
|UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Purchase required (via EA at UK)|
National University of Ireland Maynooth
Maynooth University is located in the beautiful, historic town of Maynooth, just 15 miles west of Dublin city centre. The University’s location gives it a unique character among the Irish universities, and has contributed to the development of a strong sense of community both within the college and in its relationship with the surrounding area.
Maynooth has excellent transport connections to Dublin city centre and the rest of Ireland, providing the ideal location from which students can explore the capital city and the country.
- Earn 6 US credits in 4 weeks. A range of courses are available including Anthropology, Economics, History, English, Geography, International Business, Religion, and Irish History and Culture. and Environmental Politics.
- The cost of 6 US credits, accommodation, meal plan, cultural activities, excursions, workshops in Irish music, dance, sports and culture, and airport shuttle are all included in the program fee.
- Spend your summer in the beautiful scenery of Ireland and earn credit toward your UK major and/or minor
This program is open to undergraduate UK students from all academic disciplines. Undergraduate students from other US institutions are also invited to apply. Non-UK students must first seek admission to the University of Kentucky as a “Visiting/Transient” student. For information on the process click here.
- Students will earn transfer credit from Maynooth University. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by NUIM. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the UK Education Abroad office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) the term they are abroad.
Housing & Meals
- Students are housed in single rooms in on-campus University apartments. The cost of housing is included in the program fee.
- 3 meals a day plus breakfast and lunch on Friday, are included in the program fee. Students will be responsible for all meals at the weekend.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
- Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
- The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the UK Education Abroad Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.
- Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to UK Education Abroad and one to Maynooth University. Contact your UK Education Abroad Advisor for information on the Maynooth University application.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
Passport & Visa Requirements
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program. Participants who wish to extend their stay in the country beyond the program start and end dates and those who are not U.S. passport holders must investigate the visa regulations at the website of the Embassy of Ireland.
Travel Medical Insurance
- All participants of this program will be enrolled in HTH Travel Medical Insurance for the duration of the program. The cost of Travel Medical Insurance is in addition to the program fee. Please see the UK Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information.
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor, visit the EA Contact website.
Connect with EA
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer 2||2015||04/01/2015 **||Rolling Admission||07/05/2015||08/01/2015|
|NOTE: Program dates provided by Maynooth University|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.