|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Anthropology, Architecture, Art, Art History, Art Studio, Asian Studies, Design, Interior Design, International Studies, Merchandising, Apparel & Textiles, Sociology, Sustainability|
|Course Language:||English||Housing Options:||Hotel|
|Eligibility:||1-Freshman, 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior, 5-Graduate||Minimum GPA:||2.0|
|Student Type:||Both undergraduate and graduate students||Advisor:||Liz Kociolek|
|Program Director:||Lindsey Guinther||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Included in the UK Sponsored program fee|
December 26, 2013 - January 9, 2014
(optional additional extension January 9 - January 13, 2013)
What does it mean to observe? What is the relationship between seeing and knowing? Utilizing the practice of cross-cultural observation, students of this program will examine the social, cultural, historical and political contexts that frame the diverse landscapes of Thailand.
Students will travel to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Phang Nga Bay, Thailand as well as Angkor Wat to investigate the influence of intercultural exchanges and experiences on perception. The program will begin and end in Bangkok, the cultural and political capital of the country and one of its most visited cities. This program will provide a foundation for examining and documenting the ways in which cultures differ from place to place and the complex factors that impact living in a variety of geographic regions. Additionally, students will engage in an alternate educational model focusing on experiential learning, personal development, group peer learning, and consensus decision-making. Field visits will take students from the lowland tropics verdant with life to northern Chiang Mai and its colorful ethnic and cultural diversity.
There will be a few required, in-person class meetings prior to departure in December. Meeting dates and times are TBD.
Interested students are eligible to participate in an optional extension, for a separate fee, to Cambodia January 9 - January 13, 2014. Students who chose not to participate in the Cambodia extension will still earn all four credit hours (ID 359 + ISP 599) for the Thailand portion of the program.
- Introduction and immersion in the architectural, social, environmental, historical political dimensions of diverse Thai culture
- Develop an understanding of drawing and observation documentation as a vehicle for thinking, seeing, and communicating through the practice of cross-cultural observation
- Visit spiritual and religious temples, experience rice winnowing and traditional food samplings, and sea kayak in the southern islands to observe geographic influences on living conditions
Thailand Brochure for Students.pdf
Thailand Program Presentation.pdf
- UK Sponsored programs are conducted by the University of Kentucky faculty. UK GPA credits and grades will be awarded by the program director for the successful and timely completion of all required program activities and assignments, including any required on-campus meetings.
- Undergraduate students will enroll in ID 359: Special Topics in Interior Design (3 credit hours). For College of Design students, this course can count in the "professional support" area.
- Graduate students must make arrangements with the faculty leader regarding academic credits (3 credit hours).
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour).
Housing & Meals
- Students will be housed in hotels throughout the program.
- Breakfast is included in the program fee as well as some lunches and dinners (per the program itinerary).
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
- The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- UK College of Design Thailand Travel Award - UK College of Design students can apply for a travel award to be used to defray the cost of travel expenses for UK Sponsored programs taught by College of Design faculty members. Award amounts vary and will range from $250 to $1000. The Travel Award is intended to provide supplemental funds and is not designed to cover all expenses. The scholarship will be awarded to students whose proposal application demonstrates a rigorous commitment and intention to meeting the program's goals and objectives. Eligible applicants must complete all four parts of the Travel Award application (see link above).
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
Passport & Visa Requirements
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The UK Wildcat ID Center, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program. Participants who wish to extend their stay in the country beyond the program start and end dates and those who are not U.S. passport holders must investigate the visa regulations at the Thai Embassy.
Travel Medical Insurance
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- Ms. Lindsey Guinther, faculty member in the School of Interiors at the University of Kentucky, firstname.lastname@example.org will be directing the program.
- Ms. Liz Kociolek, Education Abroad Advisor, email@example.com
|Dates / Deadlines:|