|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Business, Communication, International Business, International Studies|
|Course Language:||English||Housing Options:||Apartment(shared)|
|Eligibility:||Freshman, Junior, Senior, Sophomore||Minimum GPA:||2|
|Student Type:||Undergraduate students only||Advisor:||Liz Kociolek|
|Program Director:||Matthew Deffendall||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Included in the UK Sponsored program fee|
First Adventures in a Global Marketplace
Dates TBD - Applications will be accepted for the 2015 summer program once dates have been established!
Designed specifically for first generation students, this program will provide students with the fundamental principles and practical skill-sets to understand the diverse cultures that comprise the global marketplace of the 21st century. Through visits and discussions with London business leaders, participants will observe first-hand how multinational corporations navigate the intense diversity challenges of today's independent business community. Using London as a classroom, students will engage with one another and the local community through class projects.
- Understand the concept of intercultural communication and examine the similarities and differences in verbal and nonverbal communication across cultures.
- Recognize how corporations have embraced globalization.
- Explore the history, culture, art and energy of London, England, a leading global city.
- UK Sponsored programs are conducted by the University of Kentucky faculty. UK GPA credits and grades will be awarded by the program director for the successful and timely completion of all required program activities and assignments, including any required on-campus meetings.
- Undergraduate students will enroll in COM 390: Global Workplace Communication (3 credit hours).
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour).
Housing & Meals
- Students will be housed in shared student apartments in London.
- Participants will be responsible for all meals on their own and will have access to kitchen facilities.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline application material is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
- Students must complete an application with UK Education Abroad (online, this website) and a supplemental application with International Studies Abroad (ISA). The supplemental ISA application will be provided to all accepted students after the application deadline.
Passport & Visa Requirements
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program. Participants who wish to extend their stay in the country beyond the program start and end dates and those who are not U.S. passport holders must investigate the visa regulations at the UK Border Agency.
Travel Medical Insurance
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- Mr. Matthew Deffendall, Director of First Generation Initiatives at the University of Kentucky, firstname.lastname@example.org. Mr. Deffendall will be directing the program.
- Ms. Liz Kociolek, Education Abroad Advisor, email@example.com.
|Dates / Deadlines:|