This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
UK Consortia: KIIS Summer - Experience Barcelona (KIIS)
Barcelona, Spain (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Anthropology, Art, Art History, European Studies, Film, Geography, Integrated Strategic Communication, Media Arts and Studies, Photography|
|Course Language:||English||Minimum Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||Hostel/Hotel||Eligibility:||1-Freshman, 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
Visit www.kiis.org for more information about this programProgram Overview
The KIIS Summer Program in Barcelona takes full advantage of this cosmopolitan seaport on the Mediterranean. Barcelona has long been home to innovation in the arts, design, and industry. The city is marked by each successive transformation, revealing its Roman past, a distinct gothic quarter, sublime modernist expansions, and experimental contemporary architecture. The city celebrates several of its luminaries with dedicated museums, notably Antoni Gaudi, Pablo Picasso, Joan Miro, and Antoni Tapies. Barcelona also boasts a beachfront, Olympic village (1992), hiking trails, and easy access to other Spanish cities, as well as other European centers.
Classes may include walking tours, museums, galleries, cafes, and parks. Activities also include visits to the City of Barcelona Museum with its archaeological center, a classical Spanish guitar concert in a gothic chapterhouse, and a visit to the monastery of Montserrat, pilgrimage site since the 11th century, which has spectacular views of the mountains and valleys.
Program participants stay at the Torre Girona residence hall, next to the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya.
Please note: Knowledge of Spanish is not required for this program. Students with some language proficiency will be able to improve their speaking skills as well as their knowledge of Spanish culture through interaction with locals.
This program is open to undergraduate and graduate students from all academic disciplines.
- Students will earn transfer credit from Western Kentucky University. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by Western Kentucky University. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- Available Courses for 2016
- Two Dimensional Design: A Visual Journey (ART 130-3 hours)
- Foundations of Art Education: Traveling Classroom (ART 311-3 hours)
- Topics: The Art Museum: Art and Nationalism in Barcelona (ART 491-3 hours)
- Topics: Imagining the Spanish Civil War - Hemingway, Hughes, and other American Writers (ENG 399-3 hours)
- Topics: Travel Writing - Spain (ENG 349-3 hours)
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF) for all courses listed above with a UK equivalency. The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the Education Abroad at UK office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) during their term abroad.
Housing & Meals
- Students will be housed at the Torre Girona residence hall, next to the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya. The residence hall is in the Les Corts district, once part of the extensive lands of the royal palace of the Spanish monarchs. The area is filled with open spaces, parks, and a few museums.
- Students stay in double rooms. Each room has its own kitchenette (small fridge, stove, and cooking utensils) and bathroom. The rooms are also air-conditioned and have internet access. Sheets and towels are provided.
- Students are responsible for the cost of all meals on their own.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
- Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- KIIS awards scholarships of $250 - $750 for specific programs. Additionally, KIIS offers a $100 discount for early applications (January 20). Visit the KIIS Scholarship website for more information.
For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad at UK Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.
- Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to Education Abroad at UK and one to KIIS. For the KIIS application, visit the KIIS website.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program as it is less than 90 days long. Participants who wish to extend their stay in the country beyond the program start and end dates must investigate the visa regulations at the Spanish Consulate.
All participants of this program will be enrolled in travel medical insurance via KIIS. For details on the coverage provided please visit the KIIS Health & Safety website.
Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended dates via Education Abroad at UK. Please see the Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information. There is an option to purchase the extended coverage in the application.
For More Information
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- KIIS: Kentucky Institute for International Studies, www.kiis.org, firstname.lastname@example.org
- EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor, visit the EA Contact website.
Join us on facebook: Education Abroad at the University of Kentucky
Follow us on twitter: @EAatUK
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer 2||2016||02/15/2016 **||Rolling Admission||06/19/2016||07/20/2016|
|NOTE: Application fee reduction of $100 if application submitted by January 20, 2016|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.