|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Sol Education Abroad|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Spanish Language|
|Course Language:||Spanish||Minimum Language Requirement:||Multiple Levels|
|Housing Options:||Homestay||Eligibility:||Freshman, Junior, Senior, Sophomore|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
**There are supplemental application forms for all applicants on this program. Contact your Education Abroad Advisor before applying for this program.**
A land of snow-capped volcanoes, expansive deserts, cool cloud forests, and the beauty of two coastlines, the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, Mexico is truly one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Explore indigenous villages and stroll through colonial cities with their welcoming plazas and inspiring architecture. Discover the ancient past of the pre-Hispanic cultures, such as the Maya and the Aztec, still alive today. Mexico is a perfect destination to study Spanish and explore a unique Latin American country.
Study Spanish in the fascinating colonial city of Oaxaca. Experience the charms of this highland locale surrounded by lush mountains and indigenous villages. Oaxaca is an ideal location for language immersion and exploring the pre-Hispanic past of the area. The friendly people of Oaxaca possess an unmatched hospitality.
University of Oaxaca
Study at one of the oldest universities in Mexico (est. 1827), located in the historic center of Oaxaca and only a few blocks south of the famous Zócalo (central plaza). Classes are taught in Spanish or English. The university has a relaxed atmosphere and modern facilities that include a spacious library, computer lab, and comfortable classrooms. Take advantage of our intercambios, daily exchange programs with local Mexican university students.
Homestay (Room & Board)
There is no better way to improve your Spanish and learn more about the culture than by living with our carefully selected local host families You will have breakfast, lunch, and dinner with your family.
- Excursions are included in the program price and for Winter Break can include:
- Monte Albán Pre-Hispanic Ruins
- Explore Monte Albán, one of the world's most impressive archeological sites.
- Mountain Springs (Hierve el Agua)
- Soak in the soothing waters of these natural springs in use for over 2,500 years.
- Sierra Norte Mountains Hiking Trip
- Hike the cloud forests and indigenous villages of the Sierra Norte Mountains.
- Mitla Pyramids, Teotitlán Artisan Village, & Ancient El Tule Tree
- Visit Mitla, the ancient Zapotec city known as "The Place of the Dead", Teotitlán del Valle, a Zapotec village known for it's time-honored tradition of hand-woven rugs, and the El Tule tree, over 3,000 years old, this tree is the largest biomass on the planet.
We organize cultural activities for the weekday afternoons. These activities are designed to accentuate the unique character of Mexico and Oaxaca. Examples include:
- Museum Visits
- Traditional Markets
- Art Classes & Galleries
- Dance Classes
- Traditional Cooking Class
- Yoga Classes
- Organic Food Market
Students will earn transfer credit from the University of Oaxaca. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by the University of Oaxaca. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school; however the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the UK Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating on this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the course will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the UK Education Abroad office. Once received, Education Abroad staff will facilitate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) at UK during their term abroad.
Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to UK Education Abroad and one to Sol Education Abroad. For the Sol Education Abroad application, click the "Homepage" link at the top of this page.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore multiple funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on area of study, program type, length and country of destination. Smaller scholarships can often be "stacked" together to help fund education abroad.
- Usually, financial aid (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with UK Financial Aid as soon as possible to identify possible financial aid opportunities.
- UK Education Abroad Scholarship - a campus wide selection committee awards needs-based scholarships to UK students in amounts of $750, $1,000 & $1,500. The deadline to apply is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- UK Students qualify for an automatic $100 program fee reduction. See the Fees and Policies link above for more information.
- Sol Education Abroad offers additional scholarships for participation on this program. Please visit the UK EA website for more information.
Costs and cancellation policies vary by program. Please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website). Be sure to consider the associated UK costs, program specifications, and related travel expenses.
Passport & Visa Requirements
Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. passport applications. For more information about U.S. passport applications, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. Passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program. Non-U.S. passport holders must investigate the visa regulations of the Mexican Embassy as well as the associated regulations for their current U.S. student visa.
All participants of this program will be enrolled in Travel Medical Insurance for the duration of the program. Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended travel dates. Please see the UK Education Abroad Health & Safety website for more information.
All students will participate in UK pre-departure orientation activities. Students will often participate in orientation activities upon arrival in the host country as well. In addition to pre-departure orientations, students will have access to on-going orientation resources during and after their program to maximize the intercultural and intellectual learning potential at each phase of the education abroad experience. Students are strongly encouraged to independently research their host country. Participants should consider the history, current politics, social media outlets, tourism boards, etc.
For More Information
For additional information about the program, please contact:
EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall - Walk ins are welcome Monday-Friday 9am - 5pm
EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor visit EA Contact Us
Connect with EA
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Winter||2015||11/01/2014 **||Rolling Admission||12/26/2014||01/10/2015|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.