|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Spanish Language|
|Course Language:||English, Spanish||Minimum Language Requirement:||Multiple Levels|
|Housing Options:||Homestay||Eligibility:||Freshman, Junior, Senior, Sophomore|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||School of Record:||Required for this program|
|UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
This program is open to undergraduate students from all academic disciplines.
Students must request a School of Record Transcript from the University of Houston to earn transfer credit for this program. There will be a request the School of Record Transcript on your application with Sol Education Abroad. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by the Universidad Latina (on-site institution) and the University of Houston. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the Education Abroad at UK office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) during their term abroad.
Housing & Meals
- Housing is available with homestay families, families in apartment-style living arrangements or independent housing.
- Meals are dependent upon the type of housing selected.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
All Sol Education Abroad students at UK will receive an automatic $100 off of their program fee!
- The Sol Education Abroad Scholarship - Hispanic Studies majors and minors accepted to a Sol Education Abroad program will be considered. Awards are available for Fall, Spring, Winter, Academic Year and Summer programs. Students must complete the above Education Abroad at UK Scholarship application. Student will be considered based on need, major/minor, and acceptance to a Sol Education Abroad program.
For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad at UK Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.
Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to Education Abroad at UK and one to Sol Education Abroad. For the Sol Education Abroad partner application visit Sol Education Abroad Website.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program. Participants who wish to extend their stay in the country beyond the program start and end dates must investigate the visa regulations at Embassy of Costa Rica website.
- Please Note: If you are traveling to Costa Rica directly from one of the following countries you will need to look into getting a Yellow Fever Vaccine: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Guyana and Venezuela. There are some exceptions, please see the above Embassy link for information on exceptions and further details.
Travel Medical Insurance
Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended dates via Education Abroad at UK. Please see the Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information. There is an option to purchase the extended coverage in the application.
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor, visit the EA Contact website.
Connect with EA
|Dates / Deadlines:|