|Partner Website:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Sol Education Abroad|
|Program Cost and Budget||
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Spanish Language|
|Course Language:||English, Spanish||Minimum Language Requirement:||Multiple Levels|
|Housing Options:||Homestay||Eligibility:||Freshman, Junior, Senior, Sophomore|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||School of Record:||Required for this program|
|UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
Latin University of Costa Rica Winter Term Spanish Immersion and Study
Heredia, Costa Rica
Learn Spanish in Costa Rica, one of the most beautiful countries in the world, during the winter break. Discover a country of friendly people and breathtaking scenery. The mountainous landscape is dotted with volcanoes, cascading waterfalls, and rushing rivers. Costa Rica is situated between two coastlines, the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, giving it miles of stunning seashore that supports an amazing array of sea life. It is considered one of the best places in the world to study Spanish due to the clear and enjoyable accent of its inhabitants.
You will live in the cool highlands of Costa Rica in the beautiful city of Heredia, known as the "City of Flowers". Heredia is located only 20 minutes from the capital city of San José, yet retains the atmosphere of a smaller Costa Rican town. Heredia provides a wonderful mix of old and new and is the perfect place to study Spanish and explore Costa Rica.
Latin University of Costa Rica
The Latin University of Costa Rica (Unversidad Latina de Costa Rica, or ULatina for short) is a private, fully accredited university founded in 1986. It has a full range of degrees for students that come from all over the world. The university is located on a spacious campus set amongst pine trees and abundant green space for studying outside and intramural sports. First-rate academics combined with a beautiful locale make the ULatina a world-class location for study abroad.
Homestay (Room & Board) & Meals
There is no better way to improve your Spanish and learn more about the culture than by living with our carefully selected local host families. You will have breakfast, lunch, and dinner with your family.
Excursions are included in the program price and for Winter Break can include:
- Arenal Volcano, Hot Springs, Rain Forest Zipline & La Fortuna Waterfall
- Experience the natural beauty of an active volcano and soak in the exotic hot springs. Horseback through the rain forest and feel the rush of a zipline.
- Pacific Beach (Manuel Antonio National Park)
- Manuel Antonio National Park is an escape to paradise. It is characterized by lush forests, tropical beaches, and abundant wildlife.
- Poás Volcano Hike & La Paz Waterfall
- Hike to the crater's edge of an active volcano at Poás Volcano National Park.
- White-Water Rafting
- Experience the rush of white-water rafting through Costa Rica's tropical landscapes.
- San José City Tour
- Tour the historical capital city of Costa Rica
We organize cultural activities for the weekday afternoons. These activities are designed to accentuate the unique character of Costa Rica and Heredia. Examples include:
- Coffee Tour
- Traditional Cooking Classes
- Yoga & Dance Classes
- Soccer Matches
- Movie Night
- Theater Performance
- City Tours
- Festivals and Market Days
Students will earn transfer credit from Universidad Latina de Costa Rica. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by Universidad Latina de Costa Rica. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school; however the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the UK Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating on this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the course will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the UK Education Abroad office. Once received, Education Abroad staff will facilitate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in EAP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) at UK during their term abroad.
Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to UK Education Abroad and one to Sol Education Abroad. For the Sol Education Abroad application, click the "Homepage" link at the top of this page.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore multiple funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on area of study, program type, length and country of destination. Smaller scholarships can often be "stacked" together to help fund education abroad.
- Usually, financial aid (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with UK Financial Aid as soon as possible to identify possible financial aid opportunities.
- UK Education Abroad Scholarship - a campus wide selection committee awards needs-based scholarships to UK students in amounts of $750, $1,000 & $1,500. The deadline to apply is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- UK Students qualify for an automatic $100 program fee reduction. See the Fees and Policies link above for more information.
- Sol Education Abroad offers additional scholarships for participation on this program. Please visit the UK EA website for more information.
Costs and cancellation policies vary by program. Please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website). Be sure to consider the associated UK costs, program specifications, and related travel expenses.
Passport & Visa Requirements
Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. passport applications. For more information about U.S. passport applications, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. Passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program. Non-U.S. passport holders must investigate the visa regulations of the Costa Rican Embassy as well as the associated regulations for their current U.S. student visa.
All participants of this program will be enrolled in Travel Medical Insurance for the duration of the program. Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended travel dates. Please see the UK Education Abroad Health & Safety website for more information.
In support of the University of Kentucky's compelling interest in the educational benefit of diversity within the UK Student body, UK Education Abroad encourages all students to apply for an education abroad program that best suits their academic and personal needs. For more information, please see our diversity abroad resources, here.
All students will participate in UK pre-departure orientation activities. Students will often participate in orientation activities upon arrival in the host country as well. In addition to pre-departure orientations, students will have access to on-going orientation resources during and after their program to maximize the intercultural and intellectual learning potential at each phase of the education abroad experience. Students are strongly encouraged to independently research their host country. Participants should consider the history, current politics, social media outlets, tourism boards, etc.
For More Information
For additional information about the program, please contact:
EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall - Walk ins are welcome Monday-Friday 9am - 5pm
EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor visit EA Contact Us
Connect with EA