|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Sol Education Abroad|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Art Studio, Film, History, International Business, International Studies, Latin American Studies, Literature, Political Science, Spanish Language, Theater|
|Course Language:||Spanish||Minimum Language Requirement:||Multiple Levels|
|Housing Options:||Apartment, Apartment(shared), Homestay||Eligibility:||1-Freshman, 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior, 5-Graduate|
|Minimum GPA:||2.0||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
|Advisor:||Visit: www.uky.edu/educationabroad/contact/contact_advisor.html||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
Although some areas of Mexico are currently under a U.S. State Department Travel Warning, the specific location of this program is NOT included in that warning. Eligible UK students may participate in the programs in this program with full support from the University. The University requires that all students on this program submit supplemental materials regarding this information PRIOR to Education Abroad application acceptance for this program. It is important to understand that should the Travel Warning change to include the locations of this programs there might be additional application requirements that must be completed in order to maintain University support for participation in the program.
Study Abroad in Oaxaca, Mexico
A land of snow-capped volcanoes, expansive deserts, cool cloud forests, and the beauty of
two coastlines, the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, Mexico is truly one of the most
beautiful countries in the world. Explore indigenous villages and stroll through colonial
cities with their welcoming plazas and inspiring architecture. Discover the ancient past
of the pre-Hispanic cultures, such as the Maya and the Aztec, still alive today. Mexico is a
perfect destination to study Spanish and explore a unique Latin American country.
Study Spanish in the fascinating colonial city of Oaxaca. Experience the charms of this
highland locale surrounded by lush mountains and indigenous villages. Oaxaca is an ideal
location for language immersion and exploring the pre-Hispanic past of the area. The
friendly people of Oaxaca possess an unmatched hospitality.
University of Oaxaca
Study at one of the oldest universities in Mexico (est. 1827), located in the historic center
of Oaxaca and only a few blocks south of the famous Zócalo (central plaza). Classes are
taught in Spanish or English. The university has a relaxed atmosphere and modern facilities
that include a spacious library, computer lab, and comfortable classrooms. Take advantage
of our intercambios, daily exchange programs with local Mexican university students.
Homestay (Room & Board)
There is no better way to improve your Spanish and learn more about the culture than
by living with our carefully selected local host families You will have breakfast, lunch, and
dinner with your family.
Pacific Beach Trip (Bahías de Huatulco)
Explore the pristine beaches on the Pacific Coast with its thousands of small bays.
Monte Albán Pre-Hispanic Ruins
Explore Monte Albán, one of the world's most impressive archeological sites.
Mountain Springs (Hierve el Agua)
Soak in the soothing waters of these natural springs in use for over 2,500 years.
Sierra Norte Mountains Hiking Trip
Hike the cloud forests and indigenous villages of the Sierra Norte Mountains.
Mitla Pyramids, Teotitlán Artisan Village, & Ancient El Tule Tree
Visit Mitla, the ancient Zapotec city known as "The Place of the Dead", Teotitlán del Valle, a
Zapotec village known for it's time-honored tradition of hand-woven rugs, and the El Tule
tree, over 3,000 years old, this tree is the largest biomass on the planet.
We organize cultural activities for the weekday afternoons. These activities are designed
to accentuate the unique character of Mexico and Oaxaca.
• Museum Visits • Traditional Markets • Art Classes & Galleries
• Dance Classes • Traditional Cooking Class • Pottery Class
• Guelaguetza Folk Dance • Yoga Classes • Organic Food Market
This program is open to undergraduate students from all academic disciplines.
Students will earn transfer credit from one of two universities: the University of Oaxaca or Meso-American University. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by the institution the student attends. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the Education Abroad at UK office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) during their term abroad.
Housing & Meals
- Housing is available with homestay families, families in apartment-style living arrangements or independent housing.
- Meals are dependent upon the type of housing selected.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
All Sol Education Abroad students at UK will receive an automatic $100 off of their program fee!
- The Sol Education Abroad Scholarship - Hispanic Studies majors and minors accepted to a Sol Education Abroad program will be considered. Awards are available for Fall, Spring, Winter, Academic Year and Summer programs. Students must complete the above Education Abroad at UK Scholarship application. Student will be considered based on need, major/minor, and acceptance to a Sol Education Abroad program.
For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad at UK Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.
Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to Education Abroad at UK and one to Sol Education Abroad. For the Sol Education Abroad partner application visit Sol Education Abroad Website.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The UK Wildcat ID Center, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program. Participants who wish to extend their stay in the country beyond the program start and end dates must investigate the visa regulations at the Embassy of Mexico.
Travel Medical Insurance
Participants wishing to travel before of after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended dates via Education Abroad at UK. Please see the Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information. There is an option to purchase the extended coverage in the application.
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor visit the EA Contact website.
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2014-2015||04/01/2014**||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Summer 1||2014||04/01/2014**||Rolling Admission||05/11/2014||06/08/2014|
|Summer 2||2014||04/01/2014**||Rolling Admission||06/08/2014||07/06/2014|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.