Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
*****By completing this application you will also be eligible to compete for Telford C. Walker Travel Endowment, Henry Josephine Duysen Scholarship Fund for Education Abroad, and the Kevin and Sheri Collins Endowment for Education Abroad. This is also the scholarship application for the CCSA Scholarship, if you are participating on a CCSA program.*****
Education Abroad at UK Scholarship
This scholarship application is for students participating on "standalone" fall, winter, spring and
summer programs (the entire program is delivered abroad). Students participating on fall-embedded
or spring-embedded programs (the course is delivered domestically during the fall and spring semester
with a required travel component) are NOT eligible and should apply for the New Horizons Scholarship.
Education Abroad at UK office offers competitive need based scholarship to students (undergraduate and graduate) currently enrolled at University of Kentucky* and participating in Education Abroad credit-bearing international programs. The award range is $750 - $1500. To better accommodate the financial planning needs of students, there are two scholarship application cycles each year in Fall and Spring.
Deadline to Apply: March 1 (Summer, Fall, and *Academic Year Applicants), October 1 (Winter, Spring and *Academic Year Applicants).
*Academic Year programs can apply for both Fall and Spring scholarship application cycles, and are not guarenteed to receive funding for both terms.
*Students who receive their degree before departure or during their stay abroad are not eligible for this scholarship.
In order to be considered for an Education Abroad at UK Scholarship students are required to submit an online Scholarship Application, an online Faculty Nomination Form by Education Abroad Scholarship Deadlines and have an Education Abroad program application in the “accepted” status. All elements of the scholarship application must be received by the appropriate deadline preceding your experience abroad. If the deadline falls on a Saturday or Sunday the scholarship application must be submitted by the following Monday.
A committee of UK faculty and staff (not Education Abroad office personnel) will review all applications and make final decisions regarding awards. Winter and spring applicants will be notified no later than the first week in November and summer and fall applicants will be notified no later than the first week in April, as to whether they have received a scholarship.
Some programs will require your financial obligation before you learn whether or not you have received an Education Abroad at UK scholarship. We encourage you to pay attention to the financial dates, deadlines and cancellation policies of your intended education abroad program. Please note that the Education Abroad at UK scholarship is intended to supplement and support your study abroad plans and will likely not cover the full cost of your participation. Students are encouraged to explore multiple scholarship and funding opportunities and apply for everything that is available to them.
A complete EA at UK Scholarship application includes the following items:
- EA at UK program application in the “Accepted” status. Your EA at UK advisor will move your program application into "Accepted" status after receipt of all signature documents (minus FERPA), Self-Disclosure form, Statement of Academic Purpose, and Travel medical Insurance form.
- EA at UK Scholarship application which includes:
- Statement of Understanding
- All Application Questionnaires (includes Statement of Academic Purpose essay* and Statement of Financial Need essay)
- Uploaded required files (copy of unofficial transcript, EA at UK Scholarship Budget Sheet**, Financial Aid Award Summary from UK Office of Financial Aid)
- Online Faculty Nomination Form
* You can use the same Statement of Academic Purpose essay you use for the regular education abroad program application.
** Use EA at UK Scholarship Budget Sheet to complete your EA at UK Scholarship Budget
Awards are based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated financial need: Financial Aid Award Summary, Budget, and Statement of Financial Need (must successfully articulate why a financial supplement is necessary to make study abroad possible)
- Academic merit (GPA and academically related activities)
- Program choice (successful applicants will have identified credit-bearing program appropriate for their academic preparation and goals)
- Statement of Academic Purpose (ability to articulate ways in which proposed plan of study and international experience will contribute to the value of your education)
- Faculty Recommendation (select a faculty member who can best speak to your academic abilities, personal characteristics and motivation for education abroad)
Preference will be given to students who have not studied abroad previously.
Students who have chosen a relatively expensive program and/or destination are strongly encouraged to address the question of why a less expensive program was not chosen.
For students receiving awards, the scholarship amount will be applied to their UK student billing account at the beginning of the term they are going to be abroad. Any fees due to UK will be paid first and then any credit balance will be issued to the student via check or Direct Deposit. Scholarships cannot be applied to a student account prior to the term in which the student is going abroad. All scholarships will be processed in accordance with financial aid processes and procedures.
Please do not bring or mail any of the materials. Hard copies will not be accepted.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.