|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
*****By completing this application you will also be eligible to compete for Henry Josephine Duysen Scholarship Fund for Education Abroad, the Kevin and Sheri Collins Endowment for Education Abroad, and the Meredith Leigh Buscher Memorial Scholarship. This is also the scholarship application for the CCSA Scholarship, if you are participating on a CCSA program as well as the KIIS-UK Winter Scholarship if you are participating on a KIIS Winter program.*****
UK Education Abroad offers a competitive scholarship for undergraduate and graduate students participating on for-credit education abroad programs throughout the academic year. The UK Education Abroad Scholarship is funded by students for students, demonstrating the support for international academic experiences at UK. The UK Education Abroad Scholarship is awarded twice per year, once in October and once in March, in increments of $750, $1000, or $1500 and is intended to be just one component of a student’s comprehensive strategy for funding education abroad experiences.
The Scholarship Review Committee, comprised of faculty and staff from across campus, considers the following criteria when reviewing applications:
- Financial Need: Financial need is considered in its broadest form, not just whether or not students are eligible for federal financial aid. In addition to those who can demonstrate financial need via the FAFSA, students may have great financial need if they work to finance their own education, if they are independent from their family with limited financial support, if they are unable to work during the traditional school year due to curricular or co-curricular constraints, etc.
- Academic Achievement: In addition to GPA, academic achievement can be demonstrated via engagement in things like research, internships, co-curricular activities, pre-professional organizations, etc.
- Program Selection: Strong scholarship applicants will be able to demonstrate how their chosen education abroad program will serve to further their academic and/or career goals. Statements such as, “I’ve always wanted to see the Eiffel Tower!” might not be well received by the review committee. Additionally, students are encouraged to explain why/how personal finances may or may not have been considered when selecting a particular program, geographic location, etc.
- Personal Background: This application will ask students to provide information on things such as previous travel experience, never having been abroad before, whether or not someone is a transfer student or first generation, racial/ethnic minority, religious minority, veteran, etc.
Students participating on “UK Sponsored: Embedded” programs are NOT eligible for this scholarship and should instead apply for the UK New Horizon Scholarship.
This scholarship is intended to supplement education abroad, not cover all costs. For additional funding resources, please visit the Education Abroad Scholarship & Financial Aid website.
The scholarship is awarded in three different increments - $750, $1000, or $1500. It is important to note that students studying on short term programs (2 – 6 weeks) typically receive the $750 or $1000 awards whereas students studying on longer programs often receive greater consideration for the $1000 and $1500 awards.
In order to be considered for a UK Education Abroad Scholarship, students must complete the following by the scholarship deadline:
- Scholarship Application (click “apply here” at the top of this page)
- Faculty Nomination Form (available online after you’ve begun this scholarship application)
- Education Abroad program application in “accepted or committed status”
Deadline to Apply:
October 1 (Winter, Spring & *Academic Year Programs), March 1 (Summer, Fall & *Academic Year Programs). If the October 1 or March 1 deadline falls on a Saturday or Sunday, scholarship applications will be accepted the following Monday. Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
UK Education Abroad makes every effort to inform all applicants about scholarship awards 3-4 weeks after the application deadline. The goal is for students to be notified during the third full week of October or the third full week of March.
Please understand that this scholarship will not be issued in the form of cash and will not be disbursed in advance of the term a student will be studying abroad. UK Education Abroad Scholarship awards are disbursed to the student’s UK Billing Account at the beginning of the term they will be abroad (i.e. June for SSII, or August for Fall). Once disbursed, the scholarship award will pay off any outstanding Billing Account balances first and the remainder of the award will be issued to the student via direct deposit.
This means that students may need to pay for some things out-of-pocket, such as airfare, spending money, deposits, etc., and then pay themselves back once the scholarship award is disbursed.
Additional Fundraising Ideas:
Additional funding sources are available; please visit the UK Education Abroad Scholarship & Funding website for more information.