New Horizons Scholarship for UK Sponsored Embedded Programs
This scholarship application is for students participating on fall-embedded or spring-embedded programs
(the course is delivered domestically during the fall and spring semester with a required travel component). Students participating
on "standalone" fall, winter, spring and summer programs are NOT eligible and should apply for the Education Abroad at UK Scholarship.
Education Abroad at UK office offers competitive need based scholarship to students (undergraduate and graduate) currently enrolled at University of Kentucky and participating in UK Sponsored Embedded Programs. Embedded Education Abroad programs are international programs offered for academic credit that include a brief experience abroad as a minor component of a course (one credit or less) for which most of the content is provided within the United States. This category of programs generally includes short-term, usually faculty-led, group travel programs for which an international excursion is supplemental or embedded within an academic course.
The scholarship award amount is $500.
In order to be considered for an New Horizons Scholarship for UK Sponsored Embedded Programs students are required to submit online Scholarship Application, an online Faculty Nomination Form scholarship Deadline and have an Education Abroad program application in the “accepted” status. All elements of the scholarship application must be received by 5:00pm on the appropriate deadline preceding your experience abroad. If the deadline falls on a Saturday or Sunday the scholarship application must be submitted by the following Monday.
Deadline to Apply: November 30 (Spring Embedded Programs), April 15 (Fall Embedded Programs)
A complete New Horizons for UK Sponsored Embedded Programs Scholarship application includes the following items:
EA at UK program application in the “Accepted” status. EA at UK advisor will move your program application into "Accepted" status after receipt of all signature documents (minus FERPA), Self-Disclosure form, Statement of Academic Purpose, and Travel medical Insurance form.
New Horizons Scholarship application which includes:
- Statement of Understanding
- All Application Questionnaires (includes Statement of Academic Purpose essay* and Statement of Financial Need essay)
- Uploaded required files (copy of unofficial transcript, EA at UK Scholarship Budget Sheet*, Financial Aid Award Summary from UK Office of Financial Aid)
- Online Faculty Nomination Form
* Use EA at UK Scholarship Budget Sheet to complete your EA at UK Scholarship Budget
Awards are based on the following criteria:
- Financial need and Statement of Financial Need (must successfully articulate why a financial supplement is necessary to make study abroad possible)
- Academic merit (GPA and academically related activities)
- Program choice (successful applicants will have identified credit-bearing program appropriate for their academic preparation and goals)
- Statement of Academic Purpose (ability to articulate ways in which proposed plan of study and international experience will contribute to the value of your education)
- Faculty Nomination (select a faculty member who can best speak to your academic abilities, personal characteristics and motivation for education abroad)
Preference will be given to students who have not studied abroad previously.
Students who have chosen a relatively expensive program and/or destination are strongly encouraged to address the question of why a less expensive program was not chosen.
A faculty/staff committee will review all application and make final decisions regarding awards. All applicants will be notified 45 days after the application deadline as to whether their application was successful.
For students receiving awards, the scholarship amount will be applied to their UK student billing account at the beginning of the term they are going to be abroad. Any fees due to UK will be paid first and then any credit balance will be issued to the student via check or Direct Deposit. Scholarships cannot be applied to a student account prior to the term in which the student is going abroad. All scholarships will be processed in accordance with financial aid processes and procedures.
Incomplete applications will NOT be considered.
Please do not bring or mail any of materials. Hard copies will not be accepted.
|Dates / Deadlines:|