Academic Year Alt.,
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Sol Education Abroad|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
Academic Year Alt.,
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Accounting, Film, Finance, History, Human Resources, International Business, International Studies, Journalism, Latin American Studies, Law, Literature, Management, Marketing, Mathematics, Music, Political Science, Sociology, Spanish Language|
|Course Language:||English, Spanish||Minimum Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||Apartment, Apartment(shared), Homestay||Eligibility:||1-Freshman, 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior, 5-Graduate|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
|Approved for VA Benefits:||Previously Approved|
Study Abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Learn Spanish in the most fascinating country in South America! This vast South American
country is home to landscapes ranging from the wild and remote Patagonia in the south
to the lively, legendary city of Buenos Aires in the center and to the verdant rain forests
of Iguazú Falls to the north. With such varied landscapes and cultural influences, Argentina
promises a rich experience for study abroad.
Buenos Aires is the most beautiful city in all of Latin America due to its vibrant culture and
heavy European influence. Wander the bustling streets and grand avenues of the city and
then explore the numerous historic neighborhoods. Experience the enchanting nightlife
that the cosmopolitan city is famous for: tango clubs, cafés and world-class theaters. This is
the ideal program for students interested in Spanish immersion and living in Argentina.
University of Belgrano
Study at this prestigious private university founded in 1964 and located in one of Buenos
Aires' best neighborhoods. Study Spanish with students from all over the world at Belgrano's
state of the art facilities. Classes are taught in Spanish or English. Porteños (people from
Buenos Aires) have a very distinct Spanish accent, due to their Italian heritage. Learning
Spanish in Argentina will prepare you for speaking Spanish anywhere.
Homestay (Room & Board)
There is no better way to improve your Spanish and learn more about the culture than
by living with one of our carefully selected local host families. You will have breakfast and
dinner with your family and lunch on your own at cafés on the weekdays.
Iguazú Falls & Rain Forest
Visit the world's widest waterfall and one of the most impressive natural wonders
Visit the historical Uruguayan town of Colonia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and
former Portuguese colony, dating to the 17th century.
El Tigre River Boat Ride & Old Market
Cruise the mystical Río de la Plata, the widest river in the world, passing countless islands
covered with beautiful vegetation and rich in wildlife.
Argentine Cowboy (Gaucho) Ranch
Escape to the Pampas plains, the land of the Argentine cowboy, and spend a weekend on
a gaucho ranch. Go horseback riding and experience a real asado.
We organize cultural activities for the weekday afternoons. These activities are designed
to accentuate the unique character of Argentina and Buenos Aires.
• Tango Performances • Soccer Matches • Theater Night
• Salsa & Merengue Classes • Tango Dance Classes • Festivals
• City Tours & Museum Visits • Traditional Cooking Classes • Yoga Classes
This program is open to undergraduate students from all academic disciplines.
Students will earn transfer credit from one of three universities: University of Belgrano, Academia Buenos Aires, or Universidad Nacional de Tres de Febrero (UNTREF). For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by the institution the student attends. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the Education Abroad at UK office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) during their term abroad.
Housing & Meals
- Housing is available with homestay families, families in apartment-style living arrangements or independent housing.
- Meals are dependent upon the type of housing selected.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
All Sol Education Abroad students at UK will receive an automatic $100 off of their program fee!
- The Sol Education Abroad Scholarship - Hispanic Studies majors and minors accepted to a Sol Education Abroad program will be considered. Awards are available for Fall, Spring, Winter, Academic Year and Summer programs. Students must complete the above Education Abroad at UK Scholarship application. Student will be considered based on need, major/minor, and acceptance to a Sol Education Abroad program.
For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad at UK Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.
Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to Education Abroad at UK and one to Sol Education Abroad. For the Sol Education Abroad partner application visit Sol Education Abroad Website.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa prior to entrance into Argentina, however, Argentina does charge a reciprocity fee of $160 upon entrance into the country. Programs greater than 90 days in length will require a visa however you will obtain the visa on site in Buenos Aires. The fee is approximately 600 Argentine pesos (about $150-$160). Participants who wish to extend their stay in the country beyond the program start and end dates must investigate the visa regulations at the Argentine Consulate.
Travel Medical Insurance
Participants wishing to travel before of after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended dates via Education Abroad at UK. Please see the Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information. There is an option to purchase the extended coverage in the application.
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall.
- EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor visit the EA Contact website.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.