Academic Year Alt.,
|Partner Website:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Sol Education Abroad|
|Program Cost and Budget||
Academic Year Alt.,
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2016||04/01/2016 **||Rolling Admission||07/23/2016||12/08/2016|
|Academic Year||2016-2017||04/01/2016 **||Rolling Admission||08/29/2016||07/16/2017|
|NOTE: Dates are approximate.|
|Spring||2017||11/01/2016 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be notified of acceptance into this program and will then need to complete post-decision materials prior to departing for the program.
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Accounting, Film, Finance, History, Human Resources, International Business, International Studies, Journalism, Latin American Studies, Law, Literature, Management, Marketing, Mathematics, Music, Political Science, Sociology, Spanish Language|
|Course Language:||English, Spanish||Minimum Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||Apartment, Apartment(shared), Homestay||Eligibility:||1-Freshman, 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior, 5-Graduate|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Purchase required (via EA at UK)|
|Approved for VA Benefits:||Previously Approved|
Learn Spanish in the most fascinating country in South America! This vast South American
country is home to landscapes ranging from the wild and remote Patagonia in the south
to the lively, legendary city of Buenos Aires in the center and to the verdant rain forests
of Iguazú Falls to the north. With such varied landscapes and cultural influences, Argentina
promises a rich experience for study abroad.
Buenos Aires is the most beautiful city in all of Latin America due to its vibrant culture and
heavy European influence. Wander the bustling streets and grand avenues of the city and
then explore the numerous historic neighborhoods. Experience the enchanting nightlife
that the cosmopolitan city is famous for: tango clubs, cafés and world-class theaters. This is
the ideal program for students interested in Spanish immersion and living in Argentina.
University of Belgrano
Study at this prestigious private university founded in 1964 and located in one of Buenos
Aires' best neighborhoods. Study Spanish with students from all over the world at Belgrano's
state of the art facilities. Classes are taught in Spanish or English. Porteños (people from
Buenos Aires) have a very distinct Spanish accent, due to their Italian heritage. Learning
Spanish in Argentina will prepare you for speaking Spanish anywhere.
Homestay (Room & Board)
There is no better way to improve your Spanish and learn more about the culture than
by living with one of our carefully selected local host families. You will have breakfast and
dinner with your family and lunch on your own at cafés on the weekdays.
Iguazú Falls & Rain Forest
Visit the world's widest waterfall and one of the most impressive natural wonders
Visit the historical Uruguayan town of Colonia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and
former Portuguese colony, dating to the 17th century.
El Tigre River Boat Ride & Old Market
Cruise the mystical Río de la Plata, the widest river in the world, passing countless islands
covered with beautiful vegetation and rich in wildlife.
Argentine Cowboy (Gaucho) Ranch
Escape to the Pampas plains, the land of the Argentine cowboy, and spend a weekend on
a gaucho ranch. Go horseback riding and experience a real asado.
We organize cultural activities for the weekday afternoons. These activities are designed
to accentuate the unique character of Argentina and Buenos Aires.
• Tango Performances • Soccer Matches • Theater Night
• Salsa & Merengue Classes • Tango Dance Classes • Festivals
• City Tours & Museum Visits • Traditional Cooking Classes • Yoga Classes
Students will earn transfer credit from one of three universities: University of Belgrano, Academica Buenos Aires, or Universidad Nacional de Tres de Febrero (UNTREF). For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by the respective universities above. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school; however the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the UK Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating on this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the course will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the UK Education Abroad office. Once received, Education Abroad staff will facilitate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) at UK during their term abroad.
Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to UK Education Abroad and one to Sol Education Abroad. For the Sol Education Abroad application, click the "Homepage" link at the top of this page.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore multiple funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on area of study, program type, length and country of destination. Smaller scholarships can often be "stacked" together to help fund education abroad.
- Usually, financial aid (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with UK Financial Aid as soon as possible to identify possible financial aid opportunities.
- UK Education Abroad Scholarship - a campus wide selection committee awards needs-based scholarships to UK students in amounts of $750, $1,000 & $1,500. The deadline to apply is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- UK Students qualify for an automatic $100 program fee reduction. See the Fees and Policies link above for more information.
- Sol Education Abroad offers additional scholarships for participation on this program. You must complete the UK Education Abroad Scholarship in order to be eligible for the additional scholarship awards. Please visit the UK EA website for more information.
Costs and cancellation policies vary by program. Please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website). Be sure to consider the associated UK costs, program specifications, and related travel expenses.
Passport & Visa Requirements
Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in Room 106 of Bowman's Den, accepts U.S. passport applications. For more information about U.S. passport applications, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. Passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program. However, Argentina does charge a reciprocity fee of $160 upon entrance into the country. Programs greater than 90 days in length will require a visa however you will obtain the visa on site in Buenos Aires. The fee is approximately 600 Argentine pesos (about $150-$160). Non-U.S. passport holders, as well as those who wish to extend their stay beyond the program start and end dates, must investigate the visa regulations of the Argentine Embassy as well as the associated regulations for their current U.S. student visa.
All participants of this program will be enrolled in Travel Medical Insurance for the duration of the program. Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended travel dates. Please see the UK Education Abroad Health & Safety website for more information.
In support of the University of Kentucky's compelling interest in the educational benefit of diversity within the UK Student body, UK Education Abroad encourages all students to apply for an education abroad program that best suits their academic and personal needs. For more information, please see our diversity abroad resources, here.
All students will participate in UK pre-departure orientation activities. Students will often participate in orientation activities upon arrival in the host country as well. In addition to pre-departure orientations, students will have access to on-going orientation resources during and after their program to maximize the intercultural and intellectual learning potential at each phase of the education abroad experience. Students are strongly encouraged to independently research their host country. Participants should consider the history, current politics, social media outlets, tourism boards, etc.
For More Information
For additional information about the program, please contact:
EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall - Walk ins are welcome Monday-Friday 9am - 5pm
EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor visit EA Contact Us
Connect with EA