|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||CET Academic Programs|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Chinese Language, Chinese Studies|
|Course Language:||Chinese||Minimum Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||Residence Hall||Eligibility:||1-Freshman, 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior, 5-Graduate|
|Minimum GPA:||3||Student Type:||Both undergraduate and graduate students|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
Intensive Chinese Language in Beijing
CET Beijing students dive head first into Chinese language learning. During their time abroad, they speak only Chinese and make exceptional strides in their Chinese language skills. This program is for serious students of all language levels, from beginners to heritage learners. Want a running start to the spring semester? Consider adding the program’s January Term to your study abroad plans.
Study Abroad in Beijing, China: Features
- Intensive academics, with at least 20 hours/week of Chinese language classes
- Full-time Chinese language pledge
- No language prerequisite for the fall, spring and summer terms
- January Term: open to students with at least 3 semesters of previous Chinese language study
- Chinese roommates
- Auxiliary language classes in Chinese TV, character writing, newspaper, business, and literature
This program is open to undergraduate students from all academic disciplines, with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Students will earn transfer credit through CET and The Beijing Institute of Education. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by CET and BIE. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the Education Abroad at UK office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour).
Housing and Meals
· Students participating in this program will be housed in residence halls for the duration of studies.
· For more information, please visit the following CET homepage.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
- Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
- The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application for materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- The University of Kentucky Asia Center offers scholarships of $2000-$4000 to full-time undergraduate UK students studying in Asia. Deadline: October 1st & March 1st.
- The Confucius Institute at UK also awards financial assistance to those students studying in China. Visit uky.edu/international for more info.
- For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad at UK Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.
- Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to Education Abroad at UK and one to CET. For the CET partner application, visit the program website.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
Passport & Visa Requirements
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders must obtain a student visa for entry into China and have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the anticipated date of return. Please consult the Chinese Embassy website or your Education Abroad advisor for more information. Students should pay careful attention to the amount of time required to obtain the visa. It is strongly suggested that students work with a visa expediting service, such as A Briggs or VisaHQ to obtain the visa.
All participants of this program will be enrolled in travel medical insurance via the partner provider, CET.
Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended dates via Education Abroad at UK. Please see the Education Abroad at UK Health & Safety webpage for more information. There is an option to purchase the extended coverage in the application.
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor, visit the EA Contact website.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.