This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
UK Consortia: CCSA - Australia Ecosystems (CCSA)
Cairns, Australia; Melbourne, Australia (Outgoing Program)
|Partner Website:||Click to visit|
|Program Cost and Budget||
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Biology, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Ecology, Environmental Studies, Natural Resources and Environmental Science|
|Course Language:||English||Housing Options:||Hotel|
|Student Type:||Undergraduate students only||Advisor:||Miko McFarland|
|UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
This program has reached maximum enrollment and is no longer accepting applications for Winter 2016. Students interested in applying after August 19, 2015 will be placed on a waitlist. If you would like to be placed on the waiting list, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
UK Consortia: CCSA - Australia Ecosystems
UK Consortia: CCSA - Australia Ecosystems
Cairns & Sydney, Australia
Experience the wonderful world of "down under" on the CCSA Australia Ecosystems program and help to preserve habitat for one of its most unusual species: the koala! On this smallest, most temperate of continents, where flora and fauna are both diverse and unique, and native Aboriginal culture blends European and Asian, participants can explore the richness of a world apart. Join CCSA and snorkel World Heritage reefs, trek through rain forests near tropical Cairns, discover the museums, gardens and parks around metropolitan Melbourne, Australia's second largest city and home to some of the continent's largest communities of penguins, seals, koalas, and kangaroos.
This program is open to undergraduate students from all academic disciplines with one semester of biology experience.
- Undergraduate UK students will enroll in BIO355 "Biology Study Abroad: Australian Ecosystems" with Dr. Ruth Beattie, email@example.com, via myUK during priority registration. This course has a pre-requisite of one semester of biology and will count as an upper-level elective in the UK Biology major and minor. This course is not offered to graduate students.
- Australian Ecosystems - BIO355 Australian Ecosystems swim with turtles at the Great Barrier Reef, observe kangaroos in the wild, participate in a conservation project to preseve koala habitat, hike in the tropical rainforests of Queensland. This course will focus on the biodiversity of selected Australian terrestrial ecosystems (tropical rainforests, eucalyptus forests, mangroves) and the marine ecosystem of the Great Barrier Reef, and will include an examination of the ecological consequences of human activies on these ecosystems.
Prerequisite: one semester of Biology.
- In addition to BIO355, all students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour). .
Housing & Meals
- Students will be housed in hotels - accomodations in twin rooms with occasional use of multi-bedded rooms.
- Breakfast will be provided daily along with some meals. Participants will be responsible for most meals on their own.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- CCSA offers a $100 discount for early applications. Visit the CCSA website for more information.
For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad at UK Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.
- Students must complete two online applications to participate in this program - This UK Education Abroad application AND the CCSA online application.
- See the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website). Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully.
Passport & Visa Requirements
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders must obtain a visa for entry into Australia and have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the anticipated date of return. Visa processing will be coordinated through the CCSA Central Office. A current passport is required to apply for a visitor visa; therefore, it is crucial that participants apply for passports as early as possible. The cost of the Australian visa is included in the CCSA program fee.
Travel Medical Insurance
All participants of this program will be enrolled in travel medical insurance. For details on the coverage provided please visit the CCSA Health/Safety & Insurance website.
Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended dates. Please see the Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information.
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- Dr. Ruth Beattie, firstname.lastname@example.org, UK College of Arts & Sciences faculty teaching "Australian Ecosystems," and CCSA Campus Representative for UK
- Ms. Miko McFarland, EA Assistant Director, email@example.com