This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
UK Consortia: KIIS Summer - Experience Ecuador (KIIS)
Cuenca, Ecuador; Quito, Ecuador (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Anthropology, Biology, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Ecology, Environmental Policy, Environmental Studies, Geography, Latin American Studies, Sustainability|
|Course Language:||English||Minimum Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||Hotel||Eligibility:||1-Freshman, 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior, 5-Graduate|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Student Type:||Both undergraduate and graduate students|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
Visit www.kiis.org for more information about this program
Since 1995, the KIIS summer program in Ecuador has been designed to take full advantage of the historical, cultural, and geographical diversity of this fascinating South American nation. With so much natural beauty and such warmth and hospitality, Ecuador offers students a memorable setting for a four-week summer study abroad experience.
Ecuador is a country of diverse geography, with snow capped volcanic peaks, lush rainforests, palm-fringed beaches and an extensive Pacific coast that includes the luxuriant Guayas lowlands. The arid Galapagos Islands are 600 miles west of the mainland and have been declared a World Natural Heritage site by UNESCO. Ecuador has the greatest diversity of species of any country of comparable size, and the varieties of flora and fauna will amaze.
The Ecuadorian people are as diverse as the topography-- European, African, Asian and indigenous contributions interact to create a cultural landscape of tremendous complexity. Students experience such multiculturalism first-hand in Ecuador's capital city Quito and in other regional settings. They also learn about the efforts of Ecuador's indigenous and black populations-- in the Andes, on the coast, and in the Amazon-- to preserve many of their social and economic traditions.
The Ecuador program has a service-learning focus that matches student interest/skills to community needs while exposing them to different cultures. Students have opportunities to build leadership skills and to solve community problems in the areas of health, education, conservation, and social entrepreneurship. Students work on projects with Afro-Ecuadorian and indigenous communities in their fields of interest as they discover Ecuador's astonishing beauty.
Although knowledge of Spanish is not required for this program, students with some language proficiency will be able to improve their speaking skills as well as their knowledge of Ecuadorian culture through interactions with locals and explorations of diverse regions of this spectacular country.
Please note: Students must be aware that some of the activities and field excursions associated with the program are physically strenuous.
The Kentucky-Ecuador Partners is offering a $500 scholarship for a student accepted into the KIIS summer program to Ecuador. Please find the scholarship application attached below. The application deadline is March 1, 2011.
This program is open to undergraduate and graduate students from all academic disciplines.
- Students will earn transfer credit from Western Kentucky University. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by Western Kentucky University. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- Available Courses for 2015
- Evolution: Theory and Process (BIOL 316-3 hours)
- Elements of Biogeography (BIOL 475/GEOG 328-3 hours)
- Topics: Tropical Biodiversity and Conservation (OL 475-3 hours)
- Field Biology: Tropical Plant Ecology and Identification (BIOL 485-3 hours)
- Field Biology: Galapagos (BIOL 485-1 Credit)
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the Education Abroad at UK office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) during their term abroad.
Housing & Meals
- Students will be housed in various hotels, hostels and guest houses as the program travels throughout the country. Students may be sharing accommodations in groups of two, three or four.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
- Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- KIIS awards scholarships of $500 - $750 for specific programs. Additionally, KIIS offers a $100 discount for early applications. Visit the KIIS Scholarship website for more information.
For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad at UK Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.Applications
- Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to Education Abroad at UK and one to KIIS. For the KIIS application, visit the KIIS website.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program as the program is less than 90 days. Participants who wish to extend their stay in the country beyond the program start and end dates must investigate the visa regulations at the Embassy of Ecuador.
- All participants of this program will be enrolled in travel medical insurance via KIIS. For details on the coverage provided please visit the KIIS Health & Safety website.
- Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended dates via Education Abroad at UK. Please see the Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information. There is an option to purchase the extended coverage in the application.
For More Information
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor, visit the EA Contact website.
Join us on facebook: Education Abroad at the University of Kentucky
Follow us on twitter: @EAatUK
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer 1||2015||02/15/2015 **||Rolling Admission||05/26/2015||06/18/2015|
|Summer 2||2015||04/01/2015 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.