|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Fees and Policies||
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer 1||2016||02/15/2016 **||Rolling Admission||05/25/2016||06/28/2016|
|NOTE: Application fee reduction of $100 if application submitted by January 20, 2016|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be notified of acceptance into this program and will then need to complete post-decision materials prior to departing for the program.
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Business, Leadership, Psychology|
|Course Language:||English||Minimum Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||Apartment, Apartment(shared)||Eligibility:||1-Freshman, 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
Please Note: Knowledge of German is not required for this program. Students with some language proficiency will be able to improve their speaking skills as well as their knowledge of Austrian culture through interactions with locals and explorations of Bregenz and the surrounding regions.
- Students will earn transfer credit from Western Kentucky University. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by Western Kentucky University. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- Available Courses for 2016
- Topics: International Real Estate Issues (BA 420-3 hours)
- International Business (MGT 303-3 hours)
- Leadership Studies Topics: Leading in Diverse and Global Environments (LEAD 475-3 hours)
- Topics: Good & Evil - Psychology & Holocaust (PSY 299-3 hours)
- Topics: Freud & Psychoanalysis (PSY 299-3 hours)
- Issues in Cross-Cultural Psychology (PSY 355-3 hours)
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the Education Abroad at UK office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) during their term abroad.
- The Austria program offers housing in comfortable private homes with double or triple occupancy in and around Bregenz.
- Breakfast is provided at home while a second meal is provided in a local restaurant.
- Laundry services are available from the host families for a nominal fee.
- The KIIS classroom building in Bregenz offers quality wifi internet; students should not expect wifi at their homestay. Many restaurants and cafes in Bregenz also offer wifi.
- Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
- Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
- The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- KIIS awards scholarships of $250 - $750 for specific programs. Additionally, KIIS offers a $100 discount for early applications (January 20). Visit the KIIS Scholarship website for more information.
- Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to Education Abroad at UK and one to KIIS. For the KIIS application, visit the KIIS website.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
- U.S. passport holders must obtain a visa for entry into Austria and have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the anticipated date of return. Please consult the Austrian Embassy website or your Education Abroad advisor for more information. Students should pay careful attention to the amount of time required to obtain the visa. It is strongly suggested that students work with a visa expediting service, such as A Briggs or VisaHQ to obtain the visa.
Health & Safety Abroad
All participants of this program will be enrolled in Travel Medical Insurance for the duration of the program. Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended travel dates. Please see the UK Education Abroad Health & Safety website for more information.
All students will participate in UK pre-departure orientation activities. Students will often participate in orientation activities upon arrival in the host country as well. In addition to pre-departure orientations, students will have access to on-going orientation resources during and after their program to maximize the intercultural and intellectual learning potential at each phase of the education abroad experience. Students are strongly encouraged to independently research their host country. Participants should consider the history, current politics, social media outlets, tourism boards, etc.
For More Information
For additional information about the program, please contact:
EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall - Walk ins are welcome Monday-Friday 9am - 5pm
KIIS: Kentucky Institute for International Education, www.kiis.org, firstname.lastname@example.org
EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor visit EA Contact Us
Connect with EA