This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
UK Consortia: KIIS Summer - Experience Austria-Bregenz (KIIS)
Bregenz, Austria (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Business, Community and Leadership Development, German Language, German Studies, International Business, International Studies, Management, Psychology|
|Course Language:||English||Housing Options:||Apartment, Apartment(shared)|
|Eligibility:||1-Freshman, 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior||Minimum GPA:||2|
|Student Type:||Undergraduate students only||Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team|
|UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
Visit www.kiis.org for more information about this program
Bregenz is a medium-size city of approximately 30,000 inhabitants rich in natural and cultural beauty. A city of regional importance dating back to the Romans, Bregenz lies just a few miles from the German and Swiss borders and has the advantage of being both on Lake Constance and at the foot of the Alps.
Group and class excursions-- including possible visits to museums, castles, factories, businesses, schools, and medieval towns-- compliment classes in Business, German, Literature, and Humanities. Living with Austrian families in the charming city of Bregenz also offers students a comfortable home during their study abroad journey.
This program is open to undergraduate students from all academic disciplines.
- Students will earn transfer credit from Western Kentucky University. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by Western Kentucky University. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- Available Courses for 2015
- German Language and Culture Onsite: Basic Conversation (German 100-3 hours)
- Intermediate German Conversation Abroad (German 210-3 hours)
- Intercultural Communication (COMM 463-3 hours)
- Leadership Communication (COMM 330-3 Hours)
- Leadership Studies: Leading in Diverse and Global Environments (LEAD 475-3 hours)
- International Business (MGT 303-3 hours)
- International Economics (ECON 380-3 hours)
- International Financial Management (FIN 436-3 hours)
- Economics of Healthcare (ECON 434-3 hours)
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the Education Abroad at UK office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) during their term abroad.
- The Austria program offers housing in comfortable private homes with double or triple occupancy in and around Bregenz.
- Breakfast is provided at home while a second meal is provided in a local restaurant.
- Laundry services are available from the host families for a nominal fee.
- The KIIS classroom building in Bregenz offers quality wifi internet; students should not expect wifi at their homestay. Many restaurants and cafes in Bregenz also offer wifi.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
- Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
- The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- KIIS awards scholarships of $250 - $750 for specific programs. Additionally, KIIS offers a $100 discount for early applications (January 20). Visit the KIIS Scholarship website for more information.
For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad at UK Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.Applications
- Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to Education Abroad at UK and one to KIIS. For the KIIS application, visit the KIIS website.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders must obtain a visa for entry into Austria and have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the anticipated date of return. Please consult the Austrian Embassy website or your Education Abroad advisor for more information. Students should pay careful attention to the amount of time required to obtain the visa. It is strongly suggested that students work with a visa expediting service, such as A Briggs or VisaHQ to obtain the visa.
- All participants of this program will be enrolled in travel medical insurance via KIIS. For details on the coverage provided please visit the KIIS Health & Safety website.
- Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended dates via Education Abroad at UK. Please see the Education Abroad at UK Health & Safety webpage for more information. There is an option to purchase the extended coverage in the application.
For More Information
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor, visit the EA Contact website.
Join us on facebook: Education Abroad at the University of Kentucky
Follow us on twitter: @EAatUK
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer 1||2015||02/15/2015 **||Rolling Admission||05/27/2015||06/30/2015|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.