|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||Sol Education Abroad|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Accounting, Graphic Design, History, Hospitality Management and Tourism, Human Resources, International Business, International Studies, Latin American Studies, Management, Marketing, Mathematics, Political Science, Pre-Health, Psychology, Social Policy, Sociology, Spanish Language|
|Course Language:||Spanish||Minimum Language Requirement:||Multiple Levels|
|Housing Options:||Apartment, Apartment(shared), Homestay||Eligibility:||1-Freshman, 2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
Study Abroad in Heredia, Costa Rica
Learn Spanish in Costa Rica, one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Discover a
country of friendly people and breathtaking scenery. The mountainous landscape is dotted
with volcanoes, cascading waterfalls, and rushing rivers. Costa Rica is situated between two
coastlines, the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, giving it miles of stunning seashore
that supports an amazing array of sea life. It is considered one of the best places in the
world to study Spanish due to the clear and enjoyable accent of its inhabitants.
You will live in the cool highlands of Costa Rica in the beautiful city of Heredia, known as
the "City of Flowers". Heredia is located only 20 minutes from the capital city of San José,
yet retains the atmosphere of a smaller Costa Rican town. Heredia provides a wonderful
mix of old and new and is the perfect place to study Spanish and explore Costa Rica.
Latin University of Costa Rica
The Latin University of Costa Rica (Unversidad Latina de Costa Rica, or ULatina for short) is a private, fully accredited university founded in 1986. It has a full range of degrees for students that come from all over the world. The university is located on a spacious campus set amongst pine trees and abundant green space for studying outside and intramural sports. First-rate academics combined with a beautiful locale make the ULatina a world-class location for study abroad.
Homestay (Room & Board) & Meals
There is no better way to improve your Spanish and learn more about the culture than
by living with our carefully selected local host families. You will have breakfast, lunch, and
dinner with your family.
Arenal Volcano, Hot Springs, Rain Forest Zipline & La Fortuna Waterfall
Experience the natural beauty of an active volcano and soak in the exotic hot springs.
Horseback through the rain forest and feel the rush of a zipline.
Pacific Beach (Curu Wildlife Refuge, Montezuma Beach, & Isla Tortuga Snorkeling)
Get up close and personal with white-faced monkeys, sloths, and relax on pristine beaches.
Poás Volcano Hike & La Paz Waterfall
Hike to the crater's edge of an active volcano at Poás Volcano National Park.
Experience the rush of white-water rafting through Costa Rica's tropical landscapes.
Monteverde Cloud Forest & Rain Forest Zipline (seasonal)
Hike in the verdant cloud forest of Monteverde and do a zipline tour.
San José City Tour
Tour the historical capital city of Costa Rica.
Nicaragua or Panama (semester only)
Get off the beaten path, and travel to one of Costa Rica's beautiful neighbors and
experience the life and culture of another Central American country.
We organize cultural activities for the weekday afternoons. These activities are designed
to accentuate the unique character of Costa Rica and Heredia.
• Coffee Tour • Traditional Cooking Classes • Yoga & Dance Classes
• Soccer Matches • Movie Night • Art Classes
• Theater Performance • City Tours • Hiking
• Photography Class • Spa Retreat • Festivals & Market Day
This program is open to undergraduate students from all academic disciplines.
Students will earn transfer credit from Universidad Latina Heredia campus. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by the Universidad Latina. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the Education Abroad at UK office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) during their term abroad.
Housing & Meals
- Housing is available with homestay families, families in apartment-style living arrangements or independent housing.
- Meals are dependent upon the type of housing selected.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
All Sol Education Abroad students at UK will receive an automatic $100 off of their program fee!
- The Sol Education Abroad Scholarship - Hispanic Studies majors and minors accepted to a Sol Education Abroad program will be considered. Awards are available for Fall, Spring, Winter, Academic Year and Summer programs. Students must complete the above Education Abroad at UK Scholarship application. Student will be considered based on need, major/minor, and acceptance to a Sol Education Abroad program.
For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad at UK Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.
Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to Education Abroad at UK and one to Sol Education Abroad. For the Sol Education Abroad partner application visit Sol Education Abroad Website.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program. Participants who wish to extend their stay in the country beyond the program start and end dates must investigate the visa regulations at Embassy of Costa Rica website.
- Please Note: If you are traveling to Costa Rica directly from one of the following countries you will need to look into getting a Yellow Fever Vaccine: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Guyana and Venezuela. There are some exceptions, please see the above Embassy link for information on exceptions and further details.
Travel Medical Insurance
Participants wishing to travel before of after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended dates via Education Abroad at UK. Please see the Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information. There is an option to purchase the extended coverage in the application.
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor visit the EA Contact website.
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Academic Year||2014-2015||04/01/2014**||Rolling Admission||08/30/2014||04/26/2015|
|Summer 1||2014||04/01/2014**||Rolling Admission||05/10/2014||06/21/2014|
|NOTE: There are multiple program sessions during these dates. Please refer to Sol Education Abroad for more information.|
|Summer 2||2014||04/01/2014**||Rolling Admission||06/21/2014||08/23/2014|
|NOTE: There are multiple sessions during these dates. Please refer to Sol Education Abroad for more information.|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.