Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Service Abroad||Area of Study:||Communication Disorders, Dentistry, Education, Health, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant Studies, Social Work, Spanish Language|
|Course Language:||English, Spanish||Minimum Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||Hostel||Eligibility:||Freshman, Graduate, Junior, Senior, Sophomore|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Student Type:||Both undergraduate and graduate students|
|Advisor:||Sarah Whitaker||Program Director:||Craig Borie|
|UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Included in the UK Sponsored program fee|
August 8 - 17, 2014
The University of Kentucky and Shoulder to Shoulder Global are sponsoring a health brigade to Ecuador where students will work first hand alongside faculty, medical professionals, and local Ecuadorian staff in the Centro Médico Hombro a Hombro clinic for one week. The group will arrive in Quito and then travel to Santo Domingo where the clinic is located. The group will return to Quito in order to fly home.
This program is open to undergraduate and graduate students from all academic disciplines.
- UK Sponsored programs are conducted by the University of Kentucky faculty. UK GPA credits and grades will be awarded by the program director for the successful and timely completion of all required program activities and assignments, including any required on-campus meetings.
If accepted to the Shoulder to Shoulder Global brigades, undergraduate and graduate students will enroll in the following "Interprofessional Teamwork in Global Health" course during the spring semester. If your academic discipline/major isn't indicated, please contact Craig Borie, email@example.com for more information.
- Arts & Sciences: CPH 778
- Dentistry: CDE 884
- PA Program: PAS 680
- PT Program: PT 686
- CSD Program: CD 789
- Nursing: BSN & Graduate Program: NUR 882
- Medicine: M1: FP 815, M2: FP 825
- Pharmacy: All students: PPS 896
- Public Health: All students: CPH 778; may be combined with CPH 608 or 695
- Social Work: SW 780 Arrangements are made for variable credit, contact Jim Ballard, firstname.lastname@example.org
- No Spanish speaking is required and interpreters/guides will travel with the two groups at all times. Although not required, it is HIGHLY recommended that each participant bring donations including any of the following:
- School supplies
- Non-RX reading glasses
- Hygiene supplies
- Participants are responsible for receiving the necessary vaccinations prior to departure. For more information visit the Education Abroad Health and Safety website.
- Participants providing patient care in clinical settings are required to provide evidence of malpractice insurance that meets or exceeds the University coverage. Visit the Education Abroad Health & Safety website for more information about International Medical Professional Liability coverage.
Housing and Meals:
- The group will stay at Casa Santa Rosa in Santo Domingo. Room assignments will be decided upon arrival. Each morning the group will split into 2 teams and drive to the various volunteer sites throughout the area.
- Meals will be eaten out each day at the brigade sites while lunch and dinner will be eaten at the hostel. It is recommended that participants bring snacks with them to eat during the day as there will not be time to leave the brigade sites.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
- Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
- The Embedded New Horizons Scholarship - The Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amount of $500 for UK Sponsored Embedded Programs. The deadline application material is April 15 for Fall programs and November 30 for Spring/Winter programs.
- The program fee for the 2014 medical brigades is TBD.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully.
- NOTE: After clicking "Apply Now" for this program, please disregard the pop-up box warning that you will be charged a $50 EA application fee. Click "OK" to continue to the application. If accepted into the program, the cost of this fee is included in the STSG program fee-- you will not be billed separately for it by Education Abroad.
Passport & Visa Requirements
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders are not required to obtain a visa for participation on this program. Participants who wish to extend their stay in the country beyond the program start and end dates and those who are not U.S. passport holders must investigate the visa regulations at the Ecuadorian Embassy.
Travel Medical Insurance
All participants of this program will be enrolled in HTH Travel Medical Insurance for the duration of the program. The cost of Travel Medical Insurance is included in the program fee. Please see the Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information.
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- Mr. Craig Borie, Shoulder to Shoulder Program Coordinator, email@example.com, 859-218-2084
- Ms. Sarah Whitaker, Education Abroad Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect with EA
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring-Embedded||2014||08/01/2014 **||Rolling Admission||08/08/2014||08/17/2014|
|Spring-Embedded||2015||11/01/2014 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.