|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||SAI Programs|
Program Dates &
|Click here to view|
|Restrictions:||UK applicants only|
|Fees and Policies||
|Experience Type:||Intern Abroad, Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Anthropology, Art, Art History, Art Studio, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Classics, Communication, Creative Writing, Economics, Fashion, Fine Arts, History, International Business, International Studies, Italian Language, Italian Studies, Journalism, Literature, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Sociology, Theater|
|Course Language:||English, Italian||Minimum Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||Apartment(shared), Homestay||Eligibility:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior|
|Minimum GPA:||2.75||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
|Advisor:||http://www.uky.edu/international/the_team||UK Travel Medical Insurance:||Provided by program partner|
Florence University of the Arts
Florence University of the Arts (FUA) presents a contemporary and thorough approach to a Liberal Arts education, along with an extensive curriculum in Studio Arts. With small classes taught by a highly qualified international faculty, every course aims to enhance the social, intercultural and professional experience of each student.
Programs are offered in English during the spring and fall semesters, as well as during the summer term.
FUA combines innovative curriculum and collaborative teaching methods to create a unique, hands-on educational experience. Courses at FUA are chosen from the following departments/ colleges:
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Fine and Visual Arts
- College of Life Sciences, Environmental Studies and Human Services
- College of Business and Economics
- College of Science
SAI Programs oversees and coordinates all aspects of student enrollment, including application processing, course selection and credit, visa preparation, housing, student health insurance, transcripts and cell phone service. In addition, SAI provides comprehensive student services, beginning with pre-departure and leading to our on-site orientation.
- No language prerequisite
- Full range of student services
- U.S. support staff
This program is open to undergraduate students from all academic disciplines.
Students will earn transfer credit from the Florence University of the Arts. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by the Florence University of the Arts. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school. However, the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Education Abroad Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating in this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the courses will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in the application materials.
Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the Education Abroad at UK office. Once received, the Education Abroad staff will coordinate the transfer of credits to UK.
All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) during their term abroad.
Housing & Meals
- Students will be housed in shared apartments with other SAI students that are privately owned and located in buildings shared by Italian residents.
- Participants will be responsible for all meals on their own for the duration of the program.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore all funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on the area of study, program type, length, and country of destination.
Many financial aid packages (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with their UK Financial Aid counselor as soon as possible to apply for funding.
The Education Abroad at UK Scholarship - The campus-wide Selection Committee awards need-based scholarships to UK students in the amounts of $750, $1,000 and $1,500. The deadline for application materials is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- Any student accepted to and confirmed to participate in an SAI program will receive and automatic discount of $300 for a semester program or $100 for each summer session program.
- SAI also offers scholarships in conjunction with Education Abroad at UK for semester and summer programs. Three- $500 semester awards are awarded as well as two- $300 awards. Please see the Partner Scholarship page for more information.
- Additionally SAI offers additional scholarship opportunities via their website: http://www.saiprograms.com/florence/aish/financial-assistance/scholarships-1.
For more information about scholarship and funding opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad at UK Financial Aid & Scholarships resource page.
Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to Education Abroad at UK and one to SAI. For the SAI application, visit the SAI website.
- Costs and cancellation policies vary by program, so it is important to review this information very carefully. For more information on program costs, please see the "Fees and Policies" information page (the link is in the program header at the top of this website).
- Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility, in the UK Student Center, accepts U.S. Passport applications. For more information about U.S. Passport applications please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. passport holders must obtain a visa for entry into Italy (except for summer programs) and have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from the anticipated date of return. Please consult the Italian Embassy website or your Education Abroad advisor for more information. Students should pay careful attention to the amount of time required to obtain the visa. It is strongly suggested that students work with a visa expediting service, such as A Briggs or VisaHQ to obtain the visa.
Travel Medical Insurance
All participants of this program will be enrolled in travel medical insurance via the partner provider, SAI.
Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended dates via Education Abroad at UK. Please see the Education Abroad Health & Safety webpage for more information. There is an option to purchase the extended coverage in the application.
For More Information
For additional information about this program, please contact:
- EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall
- EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor, visit the EA Contact website.
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2015||11/01/2014 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Summer 1||2015||04/01/2015 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
|Summer 2||2015||04/01/2015 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be immediately notified of acceptance into this program and be able to complete post-decision materials prior to the term's application deadline.