|Partner Website:||Click to visit|
|Program Sponsor:||SAI Programs|
|Restrictions:||UK applicants only|
|Program Cost and Budget||
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2017||11/01/2016 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Students will be notified of acceptance into this program and will then need to complete post-decision materials prior to departing for the program.
|Experience Type:||Study Abroad||Area of Study:||Anthropology, Art, Art History, Art Studio, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Classics, Communication, Creative Writing, Culinary Arts, Design, Economics, Family Science, Fashion, Fine Arts, History, Hospitality Management and Tourism, Interior Design, International Business, International Studies, Italian Language, Italian Language & Literature, Italian Studies, Journalism, Literature, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Sociology, Studio Art, Theater|
|Course Language:||English, Italian||Minimum Language Requirement:||None|
|Housing Options:||Apartment(shared), Homestay||Eligibility:||2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior|
|Minimum GPA:||2.75||Student Type:||Undergraduate students only|
Florence University of the Arts
Florence University of the Arts (FUA) presents a contemporary and thorough approach to a Liberal Arts education, along with an extensive curriculum in Studio Arts. With small classes taught by a highly qualified international faculty, every course aims to enhance the social, intercultural and professional experience of each student. Students have the opportunity to choose classes from any of the 8 schools/departments contained within Florence University of the Arts.
FUA Academic Programs:
- Semester Programs (Fall and Spring)
- Summer Sessions:
- 3 weeks (3 - 6 credits)
- 4 weeks (6 - 9 credits)
- 6 weeks (6 - 9 credits) with:
- Optional 1 week "Cultural Introduction to Italy"
- AND/OR Optional Internship
- 12 weeks (9 - 12 credits) + Optional Internship
Areas of Study:
- Business and Economics
- Communication and Publishing
- Digital Imaging and Visual Arts
- Fashion, Accessories and Tech
- Fine Arts
- Food and Wine Studies
- Interior and Visual Design
- Italian Studies and Linguistics
- Liberal Arts
- Life Studies/Human Services
- Sport and Health Sciences
SAI oversees and coordinates all aspects of student enrollment, including application processing, course selection and credit, visa preparation, housing, student health insurance, transcripts, pre-departure, on-site orientation & advising, and cell phone service.
Please note: The details listed on this program page regarding summer options refer to Summer 1 as SAI's Summer VI term and Summer 2 as SAI's Summer B term. If you wish to study at FUA during the summer, but on an option other than these two, please inform your EA advisor.
Students will earn transfer credit from Florence University of the Arts. For all successfully completed courses, the credit hours, course title and course equivalency will be indicated on the UK transcript. Students must complete the coursework during this program according to the established guidelines by Florence University of the Arts. The grades earned will be important to progression in future academic endeavors, including graduate or professional school; however the grades earned will NOT be indicated on the UK transcript. For more information visit the Academic Credit website.
- PRIOR to participating on this program, students must complete an Academic Approval Form (AAF). The AAF indicates how the course will be used, or course equivalency, once they are transferred back to UK. Instructions on how to complete the AAF are included in application materials.
- Upon completion of the term abroad, the transcript should be sent to the UK Education Abroad office. Once received, education abroad staff will facilitate the transfer of credits to UK.
- All students will be enrolled in ISP 599: Study Abroad (1 credit hour) at UK during their term abroad.
Students must complete two applications to participate in this program - one to UK Education Abroad and one to SAI. For the SAI application, click the "Homepage" link at the top of this page.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Students are strongly encouraged to explore multiple funding opportunities for programs abroad. There are numerous opportunities available based on area of study, program type, length and country of destination. Smaller scholarships can often be "stacked" together to help fund education abroad.
- Usually, financial aid (scholarships, loans and grants) used for on-campus study can be applied to education abroad programs. Students who qualify for financial aid should consult with UK Financial Aid as soon as possible to identify possible financial aid opportunities.
- UK Education Abroad Scholarship - a campus wide selection committee awards scholarships to UK students in amounts of $750, $1,000 & $1,500. The deadline to apply is March 1 for Summer/Fall programs and October 1 for Spring/Winter programs.
- SAI offers additional scholarships for participation on this program. Please visit the UK EA website for SAI Scholarships for more information.
Costs and cancellation policies vary by program. Please see the "Program Cost and Budget" link at the top of this page for more information. Be sure to consider the associated UK costs, program specifications, and related travel expenses.
Passport & Visa Requirements
Participants must have a passport valid for at least 6 months after the expected date of return to the U.S. The Wildcat Passport Acceptance Facility accepts U.S. passport applications. For more information about U.S. passport applications, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.
- U.S. Passport holders are required to obtain a visa to participate on this program. For more visa information, visit the country's Department of State information site. It is strongly advised that students work with a visa expediting service, such as ABriggs or VisaHQ. Non-U.S. passport holders must investigate the visa regulations of the host country's embassy as well as the associated regulations for their current U.S. student visa.
All participants of this program will be enrolled in Travel Medical Insurance for the duration of the program. Participants wishing to travel before or after the official program dates are strongly encouraged to purchase additional coverage for the extended travel dates. Please see the UK Education Abroad Health & Safety website for more information.
All students will participate in UK pre-departure orientation activities. Students will often participate in orientation activities upon arrival in the host country as well. In addition to pre-departure orientations, students will have access to on-going orientation resources during and after their program to maximize the intercultural and intellectual learning potential at each phase of the education abroad experience. Students are strongly encouraged to independently research their host country. Participants should consider the history, current politics, social media outlets, tourism boards, etc.
In support of the University of Kentucky's compelling interest in the educational benefit of diversity within the UK Student body, UK Education Abroad encourages all students to apply for an education abroad program that best suits their academic and personal needs. For more information, please see our diversity abroad resources, here.
For More Information
For additional information about the program, please contact:
EA Peer Ambassadors, Education Abroad Resource Center, 315 Bradley Hall - Walk ins are welcome Monday-Friday 9am - 5pm
EA Advisors assist students according to academic major. To find your EA Advisor visit EA Contact Us
Connect with EA